Friday 21 March 2014

Task 5a: Ethical Considerations

When I first started thinking about this task I felt like I could think of a large number of ethical values within my workplace. However when it came down to putting pen to paper, I found it harder than originally thought. 

I wrote my ideas out in list form as I felt this would lay out my ideas in a clear and 
informative manner.

  • Safeguarding
  • Data Protection
  • Staff/Placement CRB check
  • No physical contact with children
  • Appropriate Language
  • Wear suitable clothing/Be clean and presentable
  • Equal opportunity/No discrimination (for both teachers and pupils)
  • Discretion/Confidentiality - act in a professional manner
  • Health and safety policies
  • Follow the policies the school has - job contract/verbal agreement 

All the above ideas were thinking about being in a school environment. However, you must also consider ethics out side the workplace that my affect you/have consequences within the workplace:

  • Use of social media sites
  • Inappropriate/reckless behavior

As shown in my initial list, the immediate point that came to mind when thinking about ‘ethics’ within a school/teaching environment, was safeguarding. It is essential that a child must feel in a safe environment and as a teacher you must be aware of changes that may indicate something is wrong. As well as a role model, you also need to be someone that a pupil can trust. 


As it stands at the moment, my inquiry does not involve focus groups or similar activities involving the pupils (as I aware some people maybe doing something along these lines) however, if it was, the idea of safe guarding is something I would need to take into consideration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment